The first records of Hangar Farm at Totton on the edge of the New Forest exist from Saxon times. The site may have been in use before this time and was continuously occupied until the 1950's. Since that time the two hundred year old buildings have fallen into disrepair.
It was feared the site would simply become part of the constantly expanding housing estates to the south but in 2003 Totton and Eling Town Council came up with the idea of using the farm buildings as an arts centre. The local college became involved in the scheme and agreed to help run the site.
Of course money had to be found to fund the project and welcome contributions came in from Hampshire County Council and New Forest District Council but the total was still £230,000 short of the £757,000 needed.