Wragge was a meteorologist who climbed Ben Nevis every day to collect weather information. Wragge would collect information from various points on the way up and down the mountain, and his wife would flute shop in kolkata collect readings from their home at sea level. His journey took him four hours to reach the top, and he was away from home for around 11 hours per day. From the 1st June 1881 to the 14th October 1882, and for a similar period in 1882 Wragge climbed the mountain every day without fail. In 1883 sufficient funds were raised to build the path and the 13 foot square room with 10 foot thick walls which was to be the Observatory. To help raise the funds walkers using the path were charged 1 shilling (5p in modern money), and 3 shillings if they were on horseback. Permits could be bought from a shop in Fort William, or from a path maintenance man based at the half way hut.
By 1884 an office, two bedrooms and a visitor's room was added to the observatory, together with a 30 foot tower (which would rise above the snow in the winter. The observatory was connected by telegraph, and later by phone to the Fort William Post Office. From 1884 to 1904, when funds 3d printing services in chennai ran out, the observatory was permanently manned and weather conditions were rigorously recorded. The normal summer shift at the summit was two months. They had fresh food in the summer. In the summer tinned food for nine months was taken up by horses, and coke, for fuel, was carried the same way.